...and trip to the ER.
I picked her up from daycare
over my lunch hour because my co-workers have been asking me for a
while to bring her in for a visit. We were in one of the offices and
she was crawling around. She pulled herself upon a file cabinet. Let
go, and fell down on to her butt and started screaming. I went to get
her and her hand was a pool of blood. I still don't know how she cut
herself, but I also didn't spend a lot of time inspecting the file
cabinet.
I spent about 15 minutes putting pressure on her
finger to get the bleeding to stop and it wouldn't. There was so much
blood I couldn't even get a good look at how bad the cut was. So, I had
my sister drive us to the ER while I sat in the back continuing to
apply pressure to her hand. At some point while we were waiting in the
ER room the blood stopped and she fell asleep. Likely from being
exhausted from screaming for like 2 hours.
The doc made it
bleed all over again when he came in to look at it. We were hoping we
could get away with some glue, but the cut is too big. It took me, my
sister, the nurse & the doctor all restraining her to keep her still
enough for the doc to put the stitches in. She was screaming her pain
scream and I was crying. It was horrible. I don't ever want to do that
again. Ever. The doc almost gave up after 1 stitch because she was so
difficult to hold and her fingers are so tiny. But, she needed another
one.
So, she has dissolvable stitches and has to wear this
big mitt thing on her hand for 3-4 days until it's "tacked" back down.
The cut is a huge horseshoe shape that takes up the entire pad of her
right ring finger. We have to change the dressing 2x a day and keep her
pumped full of meds for at least the next 24 hours. She kept trying to
eat the mitt and kept getting it stuck on her teeth so she has a sock
on her hand now.
It was pretty traumatizing. I don't ever want to experience that again. I am pretty sure I was crying as hard as she was. I guess the silver lining is that she probably won't remember it.

Awww poor baby. I have had my share of scares with Blake between a bloody nose and falling out of his high chair but so far no stitches. Get better fast Maddie!
ReplyDelete