Sunday, October 24, 2010

How about now?


Above is my progress so far, however it came with many set backs.  Friday night I started knitting after work, finally got to the row that starts the top of Santa's hat!  I was excited and said to my husband, "Look!  It's Santa!!!"  He looked and me and just said, "But, Santa's on the wrong side."


Yep, Santa surely was on the wrong side.  So, I had to unravel all the way to the last row of bricks and start over.  However, before I started over, I tried to figure out what I did wrong.  I even went over it with my mom on Saturday.  Neither of us can figure out what I did wrong, because I have the correct number of rows and I'm reading the pattern the way I'm supposed to.  So, I'm going to ask Dory on Wednesday.  So...then, I got to here:


Turns out I was doing my intarsia totally and completely wrong.  I didn't realize the problem until just after I took the above picture.  I noticed that my white stockings weren't connected to the green next to them.  Turns out, I was twisting the yarn the wrong way.  My mom and I watched some videos online and eventually figured out what I was doing wrong.  So, I had to unravel it all over again to the last row of bricks.  And, yet again start over.  Then, I miscounted my stitches and had to unravel it back to the red for a third time.  Thank goodness that the third time's the charm.

Oh and PS, this is what the back looks like and the ridiculousness I have to untangle and sort through every time I have to switch colors or rows.


I eventually had to add more bobbins when I got further up.  At one point I had 2 reds, 4 greens, 5 whites, 2 blacks, 1 peach, and 1 angora bobbin on the back.  I was so excited when I finally finished the stockings and Santa's face.  I got to get rid of 7 bobbins!!!

I don't like the angora yarn I have.  It's too thin, and it doesn't look too good (it's also not fuzzy enough).  So, I'm going to have to try to find some better stuff, or double the yarn for Santa's beard next time.  But, other than that...everything is looking pretty good so far!!!

3 comments:

  1. Ok I give you mad props for this awesome talent you have acquired in a matter of weeks, but one silly question....are you putting the names on them like your Grandma did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! :)

    Yes, I am, but the names aren't knitted in the pattern. They are added at the end with a duplicate stitch. Basically, I just stitch the white yarn over the green with a needle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - Do you recognize the bag in the first picture? Thanks for my awesome knitting bag!!! :)

    ReplyDelete