Monday, October 18, 2010

Yarn Store

Today, my mom and I went to the yarn store in search of the yarn I will need to make Gram's stockings.  I've heard many times that for years Gram was unable to find the angora yarn necessary to make Santa's fuzzy beard.  My mom said that every year she drove Gram around to every yarn store they knew of, and yet were disappointed every time.

Today, we struck gold.  We found everything we need, including the illusive angora yarn for the beard!!!  Now, I just have to turn this:


Into this:


We spent quite a while in the yarn store looking at the different types of yarn and the many colors they had.  The lady at the yarn store said she wasn't sure what yarn was originally used, but she measured the gauge and determined that it was worsted-weight.  So, we decided to go with the cotton thread instead of the wool because it is machine washable.  I think we did a good job matching the colors; what do you think?   


I got a little depressed when I compared my sample knitting to the stocking itself.  I've been knitting for weeks and my sample isn't even as long as the stocking yet, AND it's only half the stitches across.


As of now, I know how to do the stitches needed for the majority of the stocking.  The main stitching is the stockinette stitch which I'm getting pretty good at (knit 1 row, purl 1 row).  Then, there is the ribbing at the top which I find to be relatively easy as well.  I still need to learn how to "slip," "knit & pass," increase/decrease, and change colors.  Once I have that down, I'll have everything I need to start practicing knitting the actual stockings!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I plan on being the first on your list after the stockings to get a Melanie original!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mel - those are going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see pictures of your finished stockings.

    ReplyDelete