Well, this past weekend was not at all what I was expecting. I anticipated celebrating my mom's birthday, getting some stuff done around the house, and generally having a nice weekend.
Instead, my daughter decided to throw a monkey wrench in those plans.
Saturday M woke up and was a little junky in her chest. I anticipated she was going to end up with the cold running around daycare. So, runny nose and a junky chest it was. I have her an Albuterol treatment per our peds prior instructions and she seemed good to go. We all got ready at home and headed to my parents' house to celebrate my mom's birthday. M was in good spirits and having a grand ol' time with everyone. We loaded up and went to Cabela's. While there, M took a nap. When she woke up she was really, really hot. We decided to call it a day and head home. Right after getting in the car M decided to projectile vomit. And it was a LOT of vomit. I had to pull her out and clean her up and change her clothes while my mom cleaned her carseat all up. (Sorry for making you clean vomit on your birthday mom). I gave M some Tylenol because she still felt incredibly hot. She had been breathing a bit faster all day but nothing concerning, however after we started driving home I noticed that her breathing was VERY fast and started timing it...65 breaths per minute. I put a call into our ped and the on-call doc said that we needed to get her in to be seen with her breathing the way it was. So, to the Urgent Care we went.
When we got there, I explained to the triage nurse what was going on and she immediately placed a call to the nurse's station asking informing them of M. The nurses immediately came out into the waiting room and started assessing her while I finished checking her in. We were taken back to a room immediately...which I am sure made for an entire waiting room of disgruntled patients. The doc came in to see M pretty fast and gave her a good once over. Her pulse ox was only 90 which was concerning, so they decided to do an Albuterol treatment immediately. Didn't help. So, they decided to do a treatment of Albuterol & Advair since there was deep wheezing present. Didn't help either. The doc said that they were going to try an oral steroid in a last ditch effort to get her pulse ox up and if that didn't work we'd have to be transferred to the main hospital because there was nothing more they were able to do there. Thankfully, the oral steroids worked...and pretty quickly. Her pulse ox went up to 98-100 and M started perking right up. The doc diagnosed her with bronchiolitis and sent us some with breathing treatment instructions (Pulmicort and Albuterol) as well as a prescription for 3 days of the oral steroids to get her over the "hump."
Bonus, 1) this is probably the quickest Urgent Care or ER trip I've ever had, and 2) M got a new nebulizer mask in the shape of an elephant. She was quite taken with it, so the nurse said she could take it home since they were just going to throw it out anyway. M is a big fan and has been playing with it all weekend.
M seemed to be feeling better on Sunday, breathing was still a bit on the fast side but nothing like it had been the night before so it seems that the meds are all doing their job. She didn't have a fever or vomiting all day which we were grateful for. Instead, we ended up with a mouth injury. Around 5 o'clock M was walking, tripped, fell, and slammed her chin into the ottoman. She instantly started screaming and when she stood up she already had blood gushing out of her mouth. I am pretty sure my heart skipped a beat in that moment. It took about a half hour to get the blood to completely stop and another 15-20 minutes to get her to calm down enough for us to check the damage. It looks like she tore her frenulum. According to the on-call nurse it's a pretty common injury and there's nothing they can do for it. They only stitch it up if they cannot control the bleeding or there is a huge tear in the mouth. So, we're supposed to watch it for infection and liberally give her Tylenol. By the time bedtime rolled around her lip was still really swollen, but the Tylenol seemed to have made her pretty comfortable. She did, thankfully, end up sleeping through the night. She woke up pretty fussy and her lip is about half as swollen as it was last night. So, I gave her another dose of Tylenol and was acting her normal self when it was time to leave for daycare. I told her teacher to give me a call if she seems to be in pain again and I'd come up and give her another dose of Tylenol.
In other news, M starts transitioning to the next room at daycare today. I have really mixed feelings, but I think I'm more sad than anything. I'm sure she won't have any trouble moving on up to the next room, I honestly think it's going to be harder for me, lol. I really, really, really like her one teacher and I like how the room runs. And I know that M is pretty attached to Miss Rachel. It makes me sad thinking that she won't see her every day anymore. Ohhhh, my baby is growing up. Ready or not...here it comes. Ryan and I have to go in on Wednesday to have a conference with her teachers about her transition and her overall assessment.
And, lastly...Grandma and Grandpa bought M an AWESOME jacket and hat while we were at Cabela's. It's reversible: pink on one side and these AWESOME OWLS on the other:
I absolutely 1000% love it! And it's perfect for in the car...it seems like it will be nice and warm but it's not too puffy and think to be used with her carseat. YAY!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment