Sunday, September 22, 2013

Tecumseh University!


I spent last week down in Tupelo, MS for Tecumseh University to become a Certified Refrigeration Specialist.  It was a 3 day class, and I learned quite a bit.  The first night we were there, Ashley and I decided to take a walk through town and check it out.  During our walk we ran across this:


I think it's kind of funny that Elvis didn't want a guitar and that's what they compromised on getting.  Probably a good decision :)

The first day, we left class early for a field trip...gosh I can't remember the last time I had a field trip, lol.  We went to go see Elvis' Birthplace.
 The house Elvis was born in.
 A memorial walkway.
 Life-size statue of Elvis when he was 13.  He was taller than some of the guys in my class which we all found hilarious.
 Elvis' childhood church.
 Elvis' outhouse.  Yes.  His outhouse.
A fountain dedicated to Elvis' life.  It was quite pretty.

Ashley and I bought some sunglasses and sideburns to wear, but we haven't gotten around to taking a picture when them on yet.  But we need to.  I'll add it once this has been done!

The second day we had a great class and then took off early to head to the Tupelo Automobile Museum.  It was awesome!  The collection was donated by a man named Frank Spain, whom I have decided was a genius.  I'm not sure how I had never heard of him before, but he's a pretty amazing dude.  He also clearly had fantastic taste in cars.  I took a TON of pictures, but I'll just put up a few of my favorites and some of the unique stories associated with them.


Here we have a Toyota Toyopet.  One of only 8 left in the world, and one of the first cars Toyota sold in the US.  It was apparently an epic fail and nearly all of the 250 sold in California were returned.



Next up is the Tucker 48.  This car was lightyears ahead of it's time.  There's apparently a great movie about this car and it's maker with Jeff Bridges.  The story is interesting if you'd like to read about it.



Oh and a car just like this one sold in 2012 for 2.65 million dollars!?!?!?!  Crazy!

1904 REO Speedwagon.  YESSSSSSSSSSS...

1936 Bentley!
 
And check out this crazy Beemer!!!!

Then there's this Triton.  Apparently Domino's was building them as pizza delivery vehicles...but they couldn't get insurance for them, so scrapped the idea after making 8 of them!

Liberace's car.  Yes.  There is a candelabra on the back...

When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!!!

Original 1982 Dodge Dart Electric.  Only 50 made.  But too cool to see in person!


For dinner that night, a local BBQ joint catered in some pulled pork for sandwiches and peach cobbler.  Umm, yeah.  It was delish.  

Our third day of class was broken up with a pretty awesome tour of their factory there in Tupelo!  This part is probably boring to everyone but me and my family, so I'll only post a couple pictures.  But I loved seeing how all the compressors and condensing units are made!

This is everything they make at there:
 Compressor Assembly Line:
 Pallets of Compressors!
 Drying after getting painted:
 Condensing Unit Assembly Line:

Ashley and I both ended up passing the course and are now Tecumseh Certified Refrigeration Specialists.  

All in all it was a pretty great experience.  The teachers want us both to come back and take the advanced course, and I think we'd both be game to do it!  I learned a lot and also had a lot of fun!  

On the way home, I also ran into a bit of home.  Love that little girl and I missed her like CRAZY while I was gone!


No comments:

Post a Comment