Monday, March 29, 2010

What's in a name?

Tell me ladies what did you do with your name when you got married (or what are you going to do)? Did you take your husband's last name? Did you keep your own? Did you hyphenate? Did you make up a new last name?

When I was younger, and thought about the day I'd get married, I gladly accepted the fact that I would assume a new last name. I used to doodle in a notebook "Mrs. Grady" when thinking about my crush or current "boyfriend." I think like for all girls, seeing Mrs. So-and-So gave me a little flutter in my stomach knowing I'd someday be married to the man of my dreams.

As I got older and started having more serious relationships in high school and college, I always found myself thinking of how my first name sounded with the last name of my then-boyfriend. After a few break-ups, I found myself breathing a sigh of relief because I would not have to take the last name I thought sounded so horrible with my first name. I remember thinking to myself with one in particular, "Thank goodness! Now I won't ever have to be known as Mrs. BlahBlahBlah"

It has always been a given in my mind, that one day I would change my name when I was married. So, why am I so torn up about it now? My fiance does not have a bad name (granted, it's not as cool as my own). His name does not even sound bad with my first name, in fact, it actually sounds kind of nice. Even more important, I should be excited that in 54 days I will no longer EVER have to hear those Family Matters (remember Urklel?) questions and comments. And yet, none of those things give me comfort. I have come to realize that over the last 26 years I have become very attached to my name. It is who I am. Me. It has produced some very beloved nicknames over the years, and I am having second thoughts about letting it go.

Obviously, I will change my name. It's what I signed up for. But, at the end of the day, I never imagined I would have such strong feelings about it. I never imagined I would miss my name. So, I guess I have to make the most of these last 54 days being known as "Melanie Winslow."

No comments:

Post a Comment