Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tortellini Soup!

One of my friends who has an amazing palate recommended I try a recipe from tastykitchen.com she found for tortellini soup.  Sounded like the best of both worlds...a warm comfort food for Ryan and I, and an easy finger food for M to eat (minus the broth, that is).

The added bonus?  It's super simple to make and relatively quick!

What you need:
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • ½ whole Small Onion, Minced (about 1/4 Cup)
  • ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
  • 1 quart Low-sodium Chicken Broth (or Vegetable Broth)
  • 15 ounces, weight Canned Whole Tomatoes
  • Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 9 ounces, weight Package Tortellini, Any Variety, Fresh Or Frozen
  • 3 cups Fresh Spinach, Chopped And Loosely Packed
  • Parmesan Cheese, To Serve
I used chicken broth, added more tomatoes (28 oz), and a bit more onion & spinach.  I also eliminated the salt and made sure to buy sodium reduced broth and tomatoes since Maddie was going to be eating this with us.

So, you add add the oil to your pot and heat it.  Then add your minced onions and garlic:
After sauteing until the onions are soft and the garlic is golden brown I added the oregano, pepper, and tomatoes.  I used a fork and spoon to break them up a bit in the pot:
 Then came the chicken broth and turning up the heat to bring it to a boil:
 After bringing it to a boil you add the tortellini and cook it per the instructions:
 With one minute remaining, add your chopped up spinach:
 Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and serve:

Bon appetit.  

Ryan approved and actually went back for seconds!  M ate the pasta, spinach and tomatoes herself and I spooned her broth as she requested it.  All in all it was a satisfying meal and delicious.  In the end, I am glad that I eliminated the salt and used reduced sodium components because I think it would have been far too salty otherwise.  But, I'm not a big fan of salty things...unless it's corn on the cob!

No comments:

Post a Comment