Saturday, November 12, 2011

NICU

Ryan and I got to take a tour of the NICU in anticipation of Maddie's stay. I have to say, it's quite nice. All of the rooms have pull out couches to sleep over if you'd like. The nurses we met were really nice.

We went over some of the things to expect. Whether they need it or not, all babies are hooked up to a central monitoring system so the nurses can see what's going on with them at all times from anywhere. Maddie will be hooked up to an IV as all preemies receive antibiotics initially. She'll be evaluated for whether she needs oxygen or a vent, but apparently at 34 weeks with the betamethasone shots most babies do not. She'll have her blood sugar evaluated until she passes 5 tests in a row. And finally, they will evaluate her ability to maintain her body temp. We are anticipating her weighing around 3.5 lbs at birth and they like babies to be about 4 before they leave. The NICU nurse said that if all thing go well, Maddie would likely only stay about a week. Depending on all of the above will depend on feeding. She might have to go straight into The Giraffe (her bed) and if that's the case we'll start me pumping right away.

All in all, I am glad we are at this hospital. Everyone has been wonderful and I've been impressed with their standard of care.

In fun news, Ryan snuck me Panera for dinner...including an M&M cookie. I was totally prepared for my sugar to be out of control and to get lectured by the nurse. Nope!!! My sugar was perfect!!! Now I want a cookie after every meal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment