Friday, November 11, 2011

Sorry it's been so long...

I was hospitalized on Monday for the duration of the pregnancy and blogging from my phone was just too difficult.

Monday we had our growth scan. Maddie fell from the 7th percentile to less than the 3rd percentile. However she grew enough to warrant remaining in there. In 2 weeks she put on 200 grams (about 7 oz.) and gained 2 cm around her abdomen. As of Monday she weighed 3 pound even, which is the normal weight of a 28w3d baby and Maddie was 31w5d so almost a month behind.

Dr. Murphy, my high risk OB, was worried about my BP and decided I needed to be placed on meds, so I was send down to L&D to get a dose and be monitored. During my stay it came back that there was protein in my urine. So, my team of doctors decided that I needed to be admitted for 24 hour observation and a 24 hour urine collection. At some point during Monday evening my doctors all decided that I needed to remain in the hospital until delivery because I could decline so quickly with pre-eclampsia.

I have met with all 5 of my OBs as well as my high risk OB in the last few days. They are all of the opinion that we need to deliver at 34 weeks at the latest because of Maddie's growth issues and my health. I do not have severe pre-eclampsia yet, but if I develop that we will deliver immediately because the risk to me and Maddie is to great to continue the pregnancy.

I spoke with one of my OBs in depth today about what we are realistically looking at with Maddie being born 6 weeks early. I have been a bit panicky about the prospect of a preemie and how she will be affected in the long run. Talking with my OB today made me feel a lot better. If we make it to 34 weeks we are looking at basically no long term problem other than some delays. And not delays like you think. It will be delays like if a book says she should walk at 10 months, we need to add 6 weeks to that. And she should be all caught up by 2. She will likely spend a couple weeks in the NICU, but it is possible she could come home with us.

As for me, my BP is still running a bit high even with being on the meds. They don't want to up the dose at this point because they don't want to decrease the already restricted flow to Maddie. I am having trouble with spikes when I get up, so I am pretty much in bed most of the day and now have compression boots on to stop blood clots. I get my BP checked every 4 hours and Maddie gets an NST 4 times a day.

So, right now we're just hanging out hoping my body doesn't give out and we can keep her baking until 34 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment