Just took a look at my blog and realized that the post I wrote on Thursday never posted. So, I checked in the drafts...not there either. Not really sure where it went, but clearly NOT on my blog.
The quick recap of the missing post was basically how I'm super busy right now, and it described in detail what I've been doing at work, and how my weekend was jam packed. I apologized to J for not getting to her contract yet, but that I hoped to be able to do it sometime this week.
Today is shaping up into being a bit of a slow day for me. Thank goodness! I haven't had a slow day at work in quite some time. So, I'm going to spend some time cleaning up my desk...seriously, it's insane. Don't judge:
Definitely needs some attention. Once I've organized my desk, my goal is to get to the about 300 e-mails that I've yet to read an respond to. Let's be honest, that's probably going to take a few hours.
But, before I get to all of that "fun," I thought I'd let you all know about the weekend.
Friday, after work I ran over to my parent's house so that we could run downtown Plymouth to pick up the Rotary Chicken BBQ tickets. It's a family tradition since before I can remember. My mom said she thought we started doing the chicken dinners when we first moved to Plymouth. So, that would mean we've been doing it since 1988. Back in the day, we used to take the dinners over to my Grandma & Grandpa Winslow's house. Sometime after my grandma died, the dinners took place at my mom and dad's house.
Not sure if anyone is interested, but they give a neat history of the Fall Fest and the chicken dinners here: http://plymouthfallfestival.com/History/History01.htm. I was really surprised at how many dinners they sold in the '70s. We learned in 1988 that the Chicken Dinner was not actually a "dinner." If you wait until dinner time to go pick up your chicken, you're not going to get any. The Rotary sells as many tickets as people want, but that doesn't mean that's how many chickens they cook. In 1988, my mom went to pick up the chickens for dinner and they had already sold out. To say the least, we've never made that mistake again. We now have bbq chicken LUNCH! And boy is it delicious! Aaaaannnndddd...back to my weekend!
We pick up the tickets early because the presale price is $2 cheaper than the day of. After picking up the tickets we had some yummy fish with my parents for dinner. Then, by 10 o'clock Ryan and I were at hope, in bed, reading. Ryan made a comment about us being old and lame for being in bed reading at 10 o'clock on a Friday night. I pretty much didn't care because I was exhausted. I read for about 20 min and then I was out like a light.
Saturday I slept in MUCH later than I planned (11:30), but I didn't kick myself too hard because obviously I needed the sleep if I slept like a rock for more than 12 hours! Soon after getting up, my dad stopped by to pick up Ryan and head to Kohl's with him and Eddie. I did some cleaning and organizing around the house and then I started getting ready for my cousin's wedding. By 3:45 we found ourselves at St. John's running through the rain to the chapel. The wedding ceremony was gorgeous, albeit terribly long because it was a Catholic ceremony. Afterward we had some appetizers and then went to the ballroom for the reception. Dinner was filet & chicken with a grape reduction sauce. I think I got hosed on dinner. Someone in the kitchen must have had a mild seizure while putting the sauce on my plate because EVERYTHING was absolutely covered in the grape sauce. It was so strong that every. single. thing I ate tasted like super sweet grapes. The cake, however, was super delicious. It turned out to be the same cake and flavor we had at our wedding :) The band was phenomenal. They played a lot of Motown and I LOVED it! We stayed until the party ended, and made it home around 2 a.m. I promptly crashed.
Sunday was a day of good food (Rotary BBQ) and football with family. We had lunch with my parents, Eddie, Ashley, my grandma, and grandpa. We won't EVEN get started on the horrible call at the end of the Lions game. And, after reading the news things morning, I realize that nearly all of the country is in my corner on this one...even Bears' fans. The rule is stupid. The call was stupid. The Lions actually made a miraculous play with a second rate quarterback and it was thrown away. Sad. Very reminiscent of the Galarraga game and the blown call by Joyce.
Actually I did get started, so I'm going to continue. I realize that the NFL has a very stupid rule stating that the process of the play must be completed. I'd like to argue first and foremost that Calvin's process WAS completed. It was even called a TD initially by the refs. Johnson leap, CLEARLY caught the ball, landed on TWO feet then a knee, kept possession and total control of the ball the ENTIRE way to the ground. Then he hits the ground, slams the ball into the ground in what I could consider celebration of a miraculous TD. The ground had nothing to do with the equation, so I would argue that the "process of the play" rule shouldn't even apply. He caught the damn ball, and then slammed it down.
I think that no matter how we look at this situation, everyone has to realize that the NFL's rule is illogical and ridiculous if it ends in this result. Obviously it was meant to control the plays where a player lands to the ground and the ball squirts out. This isn't that situation. The rule was applied here and ended with an unjust result. There seems to be a huge discrepancy between TDs from rushing and from passing. And to you Bears' fans that are arguing in favor of the rule -- wait till it happens to you, because it's assuredly going to.
On of my favorite quotes from my perusing today was: "Aside from being in the end zone, clearly catching and controlling the ball, and getting two feet in, what more does the NFL want people to do? Should Calvin Johnson have brought the ball with him to the sideline? Should he hold it for the flight home? Take it to dinner?" I think this pretty much sums up the ridiculousness of the rule and the call. End Rant.
Alright, now I've really go to get to the desk cleaning, some research that was just handed to me, and my 300 e-mails. XOXO, M
I love that you have a bottle of coke on your desk.
ReplyDelete