Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Cable Wars

I don't think it's any secret that I hate Comcast.  Like, hate hate.  I despise that company.  I would forego ever watching television again if my only option was to pay Comcast for their service.

This relationship with Comcast developed over a number of years.  It began with atrocious billing errors, such as $75 for a tech visit.  I never even called for a tech, nor did I ever have one come out to my house.  That took multiple days and twice as many hours to clear up.  My favorite had to be the random $20 charge on my bill that even customer service couldn't tell me what it was for.  Honest to God, when I called the lady was stumped because there was absolutely no code for it.  Just a miscellaneious $20.  I can't tell you how many times they double charged me for a movie I rented.  I also cannot tell you how many times I couldn't watch said movie after I ordered it because their service blew.  I could rant for hours about Comcast, but I'll save you.

When we moved to our new house I was quite disheartened to see that my options for cable were Comcast...or a dish.  I begrudgingly signed up for the Comcast since I didn't want to mount a dish on my roof and crossed my fingers that they were somehow different.

Nope.  Same issues.  Every month.  I can't tell you how OLD it got calling Comcast on the phone to dispute charges I never made and billing errors.  My favorite was when they would tell me, "Well, you still have to pay the full bill.  We'll just give you a credit on your next one."  Um, no.  Try again.  When we learned that U-verse had arrived in our neighborhood I about threw a party!  I switched as soon as I was able to.  The best part...Comcast tried to bill me for 4 months of cable AFTER I had canceled it AND sent their boxes back.

So, we've had U-verse for a year.  Are there things that were better at Comcast?  As much as I hate to admit it...yes.  Comcast has a significantly better On-Demand and their menu is much more user friendly.  Have I had irritations with U-verse?  Absolutely.  We had some initial billing problems that made me want to give up on cable all together, but it's been pretty smooth sailing for a while now.  ::knocks on wood::

So, today, a Comcast guy showed up at my door wanting to get me to switch.  I told him in no uncertain terms that I was never, ever going back to Comcast.  He tried to give me some BS about how they must really want me back badly b/c I qualified for some awesome deal that no one in my neighborhood qualified for and I'd be saving $1,000 (which by the way would mean they were going to give me cable, internet & phone for roughly $30 per month...riiiiiiight).  I chuckled a little and told him all the problems I'd had.  I don't think he believed me.  I then told him what I had with U-verse and how much I was paying.  He tried arguing with me about I couldn't possibly be getting a deal like that.  After trying to sell me for about 10 minutes, I again told him that I never have any intention of going back with Comcast because it's not worth the hassle.  He finally gave up and left. 

Sorry Comcast, but in the cable wars U-verse is the knock-out champ!

1 comment:

  1. I despise AT&T and anything they sell (probably cause I have to administer their employee benefits). I absolutely refuse to ever give them $1, haha.

    Although, either way its still way better than dish-- and I know Bob completely disagrees but call me crazy I like still being able to watch TV if it rains or there is a breeze :)

    ReplyDelete