Thursday, July 28, 2011

I learned two new things today.

1)  Pregnant women are at a much higher risk for sinus infections.

Turns out, the congestion I've had for two weeks now is really a sinus infection.  I haven't had one in over a decade, so I was pretty surprised when I got the diagnosis.  Although, at the same time, the worry of one is what finally drove me to the doctor today.  This thing started out as some drainage and a sore throat and within in two weeks turned into full on 100% congestion with a side of "OMG my face is going to explode."  I tried all of the usual natural remedies and none of them even helped a bit.  Despite my strict rules to avoid any medication whatsoever, I finally broke down and tried Sudafed AND Benedryl yesterday, but neither did a lick of good.

2)  I am allergic to the two antibiotics considered safe during pregnancy to treat a sinus infection.

What are the odds?  The ONLY two antibiotics I am allergic to turn out to be the ONLY safe antibiotics to treat my current ailment.  Wow.  Both allergies, interestingly enough, I developed as an adult.  I had taken amoxicillin and the Z-pack multiple times in my life without issue...and then I hit my twenties and BAM, hives everywhere!  My doctor told me I really had him scratching his head on this one, because a) I'm allergic to the two drugs known to be safe, and b) all the other drugs he can prescribe are Class C which I absolutely refuse to take.  So, after 20 more minutes of research, he finally found a random antibiotic that is Class B and safe to take during the 2nd trimester.  The catch you ask?  Turns out it's related to amoxicillin somehow so around 10% of people allergic to it are also allergic to the other antibiotic.  Sweet!  The doctor also told me that this antibiotic is significantly stronger than amoxicillin, so if I do end up being allergic, my reaction could be a lot more severe than it was before.  Awesome!  Oh well, 90% are pretty good odds, so I'm giving it a try.  But, I did warn Ryan that we might make a trip to the ER at some point.  LOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment