Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Update on Maddie

Well, I've been officially removed from work and put on modified bed-rest.  The modified part basically means I can walk around my house, and that's about it.

Essentially, we're in a wait an see pattern right now.  As I said earlier, Maddie is measuring small (7th percentile) and there's restricted blood flow at the umbilical cord.  Primarily, the doctors are worried about IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction).  Essentially, this means that the placenta is not allowing adequate blood/nutrients to get to Maddie so that she can grow properly.  I will have another growth scan in 2 weeks.  If it is determined that Maddie is not growing, then they will have to deliver her.  As such, I have been placed on a round of betamethasone to help develop her lungs in the event that we have to deliver in the next couple weeks.  If it shows she's growing (and thus just a small baby) they're going to try and keep her in there as long as possible, but we will be continually monitored.

Secondly, the doctors are worried about pre-eclampsia.  Although all of my blood and urine has come back normal, they are still concerned that with my blood pressure being high I am at risk to develop it soon.  Because of this concern is why they have removed me from work and placed me on modified bed-rest in an attempt to help lower my BP and thus keep her baking as long as we can.

Essentially, my team of OBs are trying to get us to at least 34 weeks (4 more weeks) before considering delivery; my personal goal is to not see her sweet face until at least December.  Obviously at this point, anything can happen.  I won't know much more until after the next growth scan.  As we stand now, I will have two appointments a week where I will get a NST (non-stress test) and an ultrasound.  So, despite what's going on, Maddie and I will both be getting regular monitoring so we can react as needed.

As for my blood sugar, it had been great until yesterday.  My normal diet was keeping my sugar in the 80-90 range all day (which is great).  However, the steroid shots caused my sugar to skyrocket (a known side-effect).  I was rolling around 160 yesterday after the first shot and have been 160 so far today after getting the second shot.  I have to keep a close eye on it, because if it goes over 200 I have to call the doctor and at that point they will decide whether I need to be admitted for a few days to the hospital to maintain my sugar at a normal level.

It's been a crazy couple of days with a lot of information thrown at me.  I'm thankful that I have a great team of doctors who are giving me the best possible care out there and keeping a very close eye on everything.  They've also had fantastic communication with each other which has put my mind at ease.  Finally, I'm also very thankful that I have great health insurance.  I can't even imagine how much all of this is going to cost from the day in labor & delivery to the multiple blood/urine tests, NSTs and ultrasounds, not to mention all of the supplies and appointments related to the GD.

And just to make this a little happier, here are a couple Maddie pics.  First up is a great shot of Maddie's sweet little profile:
And here's a shot of her little foot.  It looks like a Trina foot to me...so I think we know where Trina got her clod-hoppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment