Saturday, October 22, 2011

We had an interesting day yesterday!

8 a.m. marked my first appointment with the high-risk OB regarding my Gestational Diabetes.  I didn't really know what would happen at the meeting, but I figured we'd go over my test results, she'd explain the situation to me (including risks and complications), we'd figure out a diet, and she'd write me a script for my diabeetus testing supplies.

That is pretty much the exact opposite of what actually occurred.  I got there early, around 7:30, which ended up being a good thing because I had to fill out about 10 pages of paperwork.  I was taken back and told that all new patients get a comprehensive ultrasound.  Sweet!  Another chance to see Maddie!  Well, the ultrasound is where my appointment went downhill.  The high-risk OB, Dr. Murphy, came in to the ultrasound room to see how things were going.  She expressed concern that my blood pressure seemed high, especially when compared to my previous pressures.  Then the ultrasound concerned her even more.  Maddie is measuring small (7th percentile) and there is a restriction of blood flow at the umbilical cord.  All of these things combined made Dr. Murphy worry about pre-eclampsia.  She discussed the multiple complications and risks which sufficiently freaked me out and then sent me down to Labor & Delivery for monitoring.

I spent quite a few hours in L&D having bloodwork run and having my BP checked every 15 minutes.  I was also strapped into some monitors to monitor Maddie's heart beat and check to see if I was having any contractions.  Eventually, all of my bloodwork came back normal.  However, the midwife on-call expressed concern over Maddie's "variables" (dips) in Maddie's heart beat.  She told me that I'd have to wait until my OB could take a look at the strip before they decided whether to discharge me or not.  My OB was in surgery, so I had to wait a while before she came to see me.

Eventually, my OB came to see me and said that everything looked great with Maddie's strip.  Thank goodness.  She said my bloodwork was good, but that with all of the other issues they want me to do a 24 hour urine collection to make sure I have no protein in my urine at all.  She sent me home with these beauties:
She also explained that while Maddie is measuring small, it might not be anything to be concerned about because obviously 10% of babies are small, however, they always become concerned any time they see a baby under the 10th percentile and they like to keep an eye on things.  We were officially diagnosed as SGA (Small for Gestational Age).  Also, the blood flow restriction at the umbilical cord may not be anything to worry about either as it may be a one time thing.  However, because of my BP, Maddie's size, and the restriction they are going to keep a very close eye on us.  She said that from here on out I will be followed by her office as well as Dr. Murphy for the high-risk issues.

I was put on strict bed-rest until Monday at which time I have to go back to the hospital to see Dr. Murphy.  At that appointment they are going to re-run all of the blood work done yesterday and go over the results of my 24 hour collection.  If my urine collection comes back clean, then we can officially say that I don't have pre-eclampsia...at least not right now.  Hopefully, I will also be able to talk to her about my GD and what I could be doing.  Because of the concern of Maddie, the only thing I ended up getting at the initial appointment was the script for my diabeetus testing supplies:
That 3 month supply you see right there...$500.  For real.  Good thing Blue Cross covers durable medical equipment for me!  I had a fun morning of trial and error with the meter.  I ended up burning through almost a whole drum of lancets and a few testing strips because I had to find the right depth for the needle.  I've got 2 of my 4 draws done today and it's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be.  At least not yet.  Ask me again in a week after I've poked myself 30 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment