Sunday we went out and picked a ton more veggies. Trina was so excited to pick all of the veggies. She even corrected me that we picked fruit too, because tomatoes are fruit. :)
I honestly must have picked over 100 grape tomatoes, and I am *not* exaggerating. I talked in my last garden post about how big all of my tomatoes were getting. I had quite a few grape tomatoes that were completely split down the side because they got so huge. Crazy. Anyway, we probably picked about 3 dozen jalapenos, about 6 cucumbers (but they were all over-ripe), 2 *huge* heirloom tomatoes, a few green peppers, and about 10 banana peppers.
We had such a huge pile of veggies that Trina wanted to set up a veggie stand in the front yard and sell them. She said we could make it *just* like a lemonade stand, but with vegetables and fruit. I made me laugh. Instead, we decided to share with our neighbors. Hopefully they liked it all!
Unfortunately, it looks like my bean plants are good and dead. The pepper plants got so big and tall in front of them that I think they lacked the sun they needed. I thought I bought pole beans, so I planted them next to the cukes to grow up the trellis. Buuuut, turns out I bought bush beans so they stayed pretty close to the ground. I'm totally bummed, because the green beans are my absolute favorite thing to munch on all summer long. I'll have to make sure to buy the right ones next year.
I finally have some of my beefsteak tomatoes starting to turn red. They are absolutely gigantic...I can't wait to take some pictures when they ripen to show you guys. I already lost a couple of them because they split before they even started to turn red, and then the bugs got 'em. Maybe I should look into some good fried green tomato recipes (I love that movie)!
No comments:
Post a Comment