Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Going back to my "roots."

Back in the day, I was basically a boy.  I loved sports, I hated any girly colors, I was my dad's little assistant, I loved race cars, etc.  It is arguable whether I had an ounce of estrogen in me until the age of 12.  As I got older, I started to balance out a bit.  Honestly, it wasn't until I got to college that I actually cared in any way about shoes and/or purses.  I spent the whole summer before college rebuilding an R/C car with my dad.  It was awesome.  Although, we managed to bust the engine on the very first test trip.  But, I digress.

Anyway, back in the day I used to LOVE video games.  Mostly race car video games, but there were other ones I loved too (i.e. Three Stooges, Mario, Tiny Toons, etc.).  Other than playing Dance Dance Revolution for a brief time in high school and having my sister and Eddie try to teach me Halo a couple years ago, I haven't touched a video game in YEARS!  Wait, I take that back...I do play some video games at parties or get togethers (i.e. Wii, Guitar Hero).  By the way, Halo is totally lame and I am horrible at it.

So, yesterday Ashley and I went to lunch and decided to do Sonic.  I love their popcorn chicken.  We ended up getting done with lunch super early and had about 40 minutes to kill.  We ended up wandering around Best Buy to kill some time.  Somehow we ended up at the video game section, and Ashley picked up a game I found highly intriguing.  So, we each bought it.  I played it last night and I LOOOVE it. 

I sat down and thought about it this morning.  What made me even want to buy/play a video game?  I came to the conclusion that for the last 6-7 months I've been drowning in the land of "girly."  Weddings, parties, dressing up, going to the salon, getting my nails done, buying pretty wedding dresses, wearing jewelry, wearing heels, primping, shopping, etc. etc. etc.  I think my subconscious is striking out against the amount of girly it has been experiencing.  I haven't engaged in this many girly things since...well...ever.  I realized that unconsciously I've been trying to regain that fine balance in my life between girly and "normal."  Since Jenny's wedding, I chopped my hair all off, I stopped wearing ANY nail polish, haven't donned a single set of heels or dress unless absolutely necessary (read: have to go to court), have been living in jeans and t-shirts, have been working with my hands a lot, etc.  So, apparently my Id wanted a video game to play to continue the boycott against girly things. 

So, for now, I'm going to enjoy my gaming in boyland :)

No comments:

Post a Comment