Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Favorite Toy & Dirty Rice (Fail!)

So, several months ago I decided to make M a toy to play with that was similar to the shape sorters but easier because finding the correct shape seemed to frustrate her.

I decided to cut a slit (like a bank) in the top of a puffs container and give her a bunch of poker chips to put inside.  She honest to goodness fell in love with this thing the first time I gave it to her.  She will sit there putting all of the poker chips in, come ask me to dump them all out, rinse repeat 20x.  It really keeps her attention (yay for mom!) and it definitely helps with her dexterity and hand/eye coordination (yay for M!).



So there you go!  Cheap way to keep your kid entertained for quite a while if they're anything like Maddie.

Then tonight I decided to make dirty rice.  The recipe looked good and it even allowed me to use some of my yummy chicken stock I made last week!  A giant win...or so I thought.

I used this recipe from Food Network.  To follow my goal of being more conscious of what we're putting in our bodies, I used local grass fed meats, organic non-GMO rice, homemade chicken stock, and organic veggies.  I skipped using the chicken gizzards because I didn't really want to play with those.

The rice looked wonderful:


...but OH.MY.GOD was it spicy.  Mysteriously so.  The only heat that went into the dish was 1/4 tsp of Cayenne pepper...and for the amount of rice and meat it was flavoring there's NO WAY it should have been that hot.  Ryan even said that it was crazy spicy.  Maddie took one bite and immediately started to choke on the spice...safe to say she doesn't like REALLY spicy things.

So, if you like really spicy stuff, this might be right up your alley.  However, I felt like it was lacking something...maybe it really did need the chicken gizzards.  But, I put a lot of flavorful things in it and it just felt like it was lacking.  Maybe I'll try and play around with this recipe...but odds are it will be retired and I'll look for a new one.  If you have a good dirty rice recipe please feel free to post it in the comments for me to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment