Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wedding Present

Today, we were finally able to get together with my Aunt Wava to open our wedding present.  She called and said we had to do it soon because she didn't want to give it to us as an anniversary present, lol.  So, this afternoon we met up and opened one of the best gifts we got!

First, I pulled this out:
 There is a lot of family history behind this little beauty and it almost made me cry.  My great-grandma painted this plate.  My mom has an entire set of china that she painted that we only pull out for very special occasions and Thanksgiving.  They are absolutely beautiful and I am so very excited to have one of my own.  My mom pointed out tonight that mine is one of a kind.  All of the paintings that she has are of roses and violets.  I am very excited and proud to be able to put this on display at home!!!

Then, I pulled out this beautiful vase:

 As I admired the beautiful paintings on the outside of the vase, Aunt Wava told me to look at the bottom and to my surprise this is what I saw:
Yes, that says 1893!  My Aunt then told me the story behind this vase.  Apparently, more than 20 years ago she was at an auction and saw this vase and just fell in love with it.  She said she was bidding against dealers, but eventually won the vase when the dealers saw the small hairline crack along the bottom.  She said she has loved and admired this vase for over 20 years and hopes that Ryan and I love and enjoy it as much as she has.

I am so touched by her generosity and now feel like I have to go buy a china cabinet to display these beautiful pieces (and also keep them safe from cats). 

Thank you Aunt Wava!  I promise we will cherish these as much as you have over the years!!

No comments:

Post a Comment